You may have TMJ or TMD if you experience face or jaw pain, so book your appointment to find out. Our expert dentist has been serving patients for over 20 years.
What is Temporomandibular Disorder TMD?
Temporomandibular Disorder is a painful disorder that affects the temporomandibular joints in which connect your lower jawbone to your skull.
Temporomandibular Joints (TMJ)
The Temporomandibular Joints are very commonly used in your everyday life. They are important for chewing, speaking, swallowing, and yawning. With TMD, any use of these joints become extremely painful and can restrict movement.
Symptoms of TMD
Some signs that you may be suffering from TMD are:
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
If you notice any of these symptoms, contact our office to book your appointment.
How to Prevent TMD
If you already have TMD, you won’t be able to cure it on your own, but these tips will help you alleviate pain or prevent TMD altogether.
- Relax your face with your lips together and teeth apart
- Avoid grinding your teeth
- Avoid constant gum chewing
- Don’t cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder — either use a headset or hold the receiver in your hand
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Do not sit with your chin rested on your hand
- Practice good posture — keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared
Read Our PATIENT STORIES
Silvia do Valle
“Wonderful dentist, the best in the area! So sweet and caring, extremely.competent and professional, best pain free techniques. I just wish my doctors were this nice. I couldn’t recommend more.”
“Dr. Desai is so thorough, kind and helpful! She truly cares about her patients and what is best for them. Everyone is friendly, on time, and knows the best techiniques and treatments. 5 stars!”
“The whole experience is always pleasant. I just had two cavities filled. Dr. Desai and her staff were extremely gentle and gracious as they always are. The entire staff is friendly and helpful.”
“Dr. Desai and her staff are the BEST! Unfortunately, I have a lot of dental issues. Dr. Desai always takes the time to explain all my options and help me to pick the best one! Highly recommend!”
“I must say Dr. Desai is amazing and her staff are the best. I’ve so happy I was referred to her office. Dr. Desai and help me find the best care for my mouth, and am very appreciated for that.”
“Dr. Desai’s office is so friendly and professional. They do such a great job, and are very gentle and patient. Dr. Desai and her staff are thorough, and very friendly. It is a wonderful office!”